My skin is in some serious need of a deep cleaning right now. It’s completely my own fault because I got lazy with my skincare routine when I was out of town and my water intake was pretty awful. I can tell my skin needs some extra care right now because the texture has a bit rough and my makeup is applying a little caked. I also noticed that it’s dull, I have little bumps coming to the surface which will flareup as acne in the next few days. Sigh.
It’s Sunday, the best day to start something new.
I should warn you, deep cleaning your skin and pores is not a pretty job and if you want to do it ensure you are fully committed to take the good with the bad. I will actually spend the next few weeks with some pretty awful skin that breaks out a little bit and makes me want to hide under a blanket for the entire day. Maybe it won’t be that bad, I can never predict these things so I am preparing for the worst. Now your sitting here thinking, why the heck would I want to deep clean my skin if that happens? The simple answer is that the only way to get it out of your skin is to let it come to the surface. When it comes to the surface it’s now always in the best form.
The products I have pictured are just the products I use when I deep clean my skin but you can sub out my products for your normal face wash and moisturizer, no need to run out and buy new stuff. The Clairsonic is also optional but I highly recommend one if you don’t already have it. I use the Mia and it was the best $100.00 I ever spent. I saved up my Ulta points for an entire year or more so I could get a big discount.
Argan Oil is my favorite night time face moisturizer right now but I’ve pictured my second favorite, CeraVe. Let’s just debunk this myth right now, that oils and moisturizers are bad for the skin and cause breakouts. This is absolutely false. Even if your skin is prone to oil, think of it as fighting fire with fire. Not all oil is pore-clogging (some people claim mineral oil is not the best for your skin). If you have oily skin, you don’t need a heavy or greasy oil-based moisturizer but you still need it. Try a water-based one instead if you are worried.
Totally cleaning out your pores will take 2 – 4 weeks and if your skin starts to flareup, do not get discouraged, it will pass. Just stay positive because you are doing your skin good, eliminating the junk. I also noticed that drinking water helps so much with acne, it helps even out my skin tone and helps dark circles. Other things I’ve noticed contribute to my skin flareups are wheat (when I ate it) and dairy so if you have dietary acne problems, you can limit wheat and dairy during this time to help calm the skin.
Now it’s not as bad as it sounds.
How to DEEP CLEAN your Pores
1. Remove makeup with a makeup removing cloth and eye makeup with cotton and remover (not pictured).
2. Once my face is free of makeup I take my washcloth and put it in as hot of water as I can stand, wring it out and lay it on my face with my head back to open my pores. I just pat it down for about 30 seconds or so, and remove it while it’s still hot / warm. You could also put hot water in a bowl and steam your face over it but this routine is what I do before bed so I like to make it as simple as possible.
3. Apply your face wash evenly onto your face, avoiding your eyes and mouth.
4. Use your Clairsonic for the full cycle or you can lightly exfoliate your skin with a washcloth, face brush or you can skip the exfoliating all together.
5. Rinse your face with warm water until the soap is gone. Switch the water to hot and rinse your washcloth in the hot water so that it’s clean make sure it’s not too hot because you need to wring it out. Put the washcloth on your face again with your head back to steam your pores and it helps take the excess water off your face.
6. With your face still damp, put a few drops of Argan oil and dab it into your skin. Argan oil absorbs best into your face if your skin is still damp. If you completely dry your skin it will just sit on the surface. If you are using traditional moisturizer, after you wash your face take a clean towel and lightly damp the towel against your skin until its dry. Do not rub. Apply your moisturizer as normal.
7. Everyday, drink at least half of your body weight in water or more if you can. Clear healthy skin starts from the inside. This also gives you a chance to not drink your calories.
In two to four week enjoy amazingly clean skin, smaller pores, and skin that is even, toned and glows from the inside out.